Wednesday, January 21, 2009

He's not a kid anymore...

Lori brought up Matt being hurt in a comment she made, so I just thought I would post about it so that everyone would know.

Over Christmas, we had a social gathering with my mother's side of the family. My mother has 7 brothers and sisters, so needless to say, it was a large gathering. There are also a lot of kids ranging from birth on up to their teens. Matt was outside playing football with all of the kids and he got tackled (even though I thought there was no tackling in touch football!) and slipped on the wet grass (it had been raining) and fell wrong on his leg. We actually thought he might have broken it, but most of his pain was in his knee. So...after about 5 hours in Andalusia hospital emergency room, we were reassured it was not broken but that he had probably pulled a ligament in his knee and he should follow up here in Knoxville when we returned home.

He could barely walk for 2 or 3 days, but it seemed to get better each day. He did go ahead and follow up here at an orthopedic clinic. They did an MRI and he found out he had actually torn his ACL. Apparently it doesn't grow back on its own, so he has to have surgery. They are going to move a ligament from the front of his knee to the side of his knee. We have scheduled his surgery for next Tuesday, January 27th.

He is expected to be in A LOT of pain the first 2 weeks. The nurse practitioner we spoke with said the first week is pretty much hell and the 2nd week isn't much better, but that if we can make it through those 2 weeks, he should be okay. Very reassuring, right?!?!

He will be on crutches for 6-8 weeks, then on a walking brace. The surgeon said he would not be fully recovered from this for 6 months!!!! We are praying that after 3-4 weeks, he will be able to go back to work and at least perform "light duty" tasks. The surgeon said we would work through this as we go.

Please pray for us. Specifically to guide the surgeon's hands and for fast healing. I am starting my busy season in the next couple of weeks and he is usually left with most of the child rearing in the tax season months. These are the times when I wished we were closer to home!

9 comments:

Lori said...

I wish you were closer too so we could babysit for you when you needed it and at least cook a meal or something! Just send those babies down our way for a while:) We'll pray that the surgery goes well and that recovery is as pain free and FAST as possible!! Keep us updated!

The Wilson's said...

We will put you on our prayer list. I am sorry to hear that he is going to be in so much pain.

Beth said...

We will be praying for Matt. I am so sorry to hear that. And I too wish y'all were closer to home!!! We would love to keep those precious little ones!! We will pray for Matt a quick recovery and for you to have the strength to carry the family while he's recovering!

JMBMOMMY said...

Oh my goodness....that isn't good at all.

Julie said...

I tore my ACL in my left knee back in November of 98 during my first "collegiate" (Jr. College) basketball game. I didn't know what on earth had happened--I just knew that I was in A LOT of pain. Surgery, for me, was scheduled in December of that year(98)and I came out of it alive. But I must warn, that it is a long road to recovery. It took about 4 months for me to be back to "normal". The whole rehabilitation was the hardest part of it all! Gaining strength back in your quad, learning to walk without limping, and running. Tell him I said good luck and to make sure he follows the pt's workout regimen b/c it does make a difference. If not, they will "bend" his knee for them--they had to do this to several of folks that weren't trying their hardest-and it wasn't pleasant to hear them scream in pain. The day I got out of the hospital, I could only bend my leg 90 degrees--now I'm up and at it like nothing ever happened. I do have a screw in my left knee!! This has been 11 years ago, so I'm sure they do things differently now days with ACL and MCL tears. I'll be praying for all of you!! He'll be fine! :)

Shonna said...

WOW...I had no idea! See, there are more and more reasons every day for y'all to come back home!!! We will pray for the surgery and recovery, but also for you and the girls. Like Lori said, send the girls on down and we can help keep them entertained!!

Tell Matt we love him and hope he was able to get in some deer hunting before his injury!

Lynn Castleberry said...

Oh, I am so sorry! I will pray for patience on both your parts and that he will have a speedy recovers.

Lynn Castleberry said...

Oops! recovery... I really should proofread!

Christi said...

I'm thinking about you and praying for a swift recovery!!!!! Good luck today!!!