Thursday, August 28, 2008

Gracieism - That's my magic!

About a year ago, I bought a journal because I wanted to write some of the things down that Gracie says that I think are sweet or comical. For those of you that know me very well know that has never happened. The journal sits in a closet somewhere and has never even seen a pen. It was actually a major step for me to even buy the thing! I've decided to start writing them on my blog instead. This way I can share it with others too!

The other day I took Gracie to buy ballet shoes. She starts back at ballet tonight and she has outgrown the shoes she wore last year. We were riding back home and were stopped at a red light. It was a rather long red light. Gracie, proudly sitting in her new high back booster seat, says "Abba Dabba, light turn GREEN!" Nothing. "Abba Dabba, light turn GREEN!" Still nothing. In a very small and defeated voice, Gracie says "I guess I'm not really magic." Not to be magic is devastating for a 4 year old, but she did not give up. She said to me "Mama, give me your magic!" I pretended to throw something at her and she said again "Abba Dabba, light turn GREEN!" Nothing. She proceeds to tell me that my magic isn't working either. Not to be deterred, she says she is going to grab someone else's magic from one of the cars next to us. Once she "grabs" it, she says once again "Abba Dabba, light turn GREEN!" Success!! She was very excited that at least someone's magic had worked!

It was also raining that day. Not too much, so I had the wipers on a delay. She decided she was going to make the wipers go on and off with her newfound magic ability, so she says "Magic, magic, turn the wipers OFF!" I, of course, turned them off without her noticing. She was so proud. The windshield was filling up with raindrops so I told her to turn them back on because before long, I wouldn't be able to see where we were going. She says "Magic, magic, turn the wipers ON!" I turned them back on. She beamed! I asked her in a very amazed voice "Gracie, HOW do you do that?" She said "That's my magic!"

3 comments:

Shonna said...

Now there are tears in my eyes...isn't it just so rewarding to take the time to "play along"(even in the car:) Love you!

Julie said...

That is toooo CUTE!! I love the things children say and do!!! As parents, it is music to our ears!!

Beth said...

How sweet!!! Children have such wonderful imaginations! Don't you wish we as adults could "live" in their world sometimes? Life would be so entertaining! Cute story!