Monday, August 11, 2008

Mystery Mine Disaster...

You will never believe what happened to me this weekend! My parents were here and we all went to Dollywood on Saturday. It was packed!! I guess people were trying to get one more trip in before school started this week. We had a good time. Gracie rode most of the kiddie rides and she played for quite a while in the water area. She also rode a water log ride with the four of us, which she LOVED! I can't wait until she is a little taller, because I think she will be just like me and love all of the roller coasters - the faster the better!

Speaking of which...Matt, Daddy and I wanted to ride the newest roller coaster they have, called the Mystery Mine. I had heard a lot of people say it was a great coaster and was really scary. I thought, hey, the scarier the better, right?!? WRONG!!! There is a point in the roller coaster where you go straight up (your back is parallel to the ground below) about 40 foot and then you go straight back down (your stomach is parallel to the ground below). Unfortunately, we never made it down. We got to the top and the all the lights went out and the car just stopped!! We were just hanging there...looking at the ceiling...thinking that it was to going to let go at any moment and we were all going to DIE!!! (At least, that's what I was thinking.) I also made the mistake of looking behind me and realizing that it was so far down, I couldn't even see the ground! My dad was perfectly calm, saying that even if the brakes let go, we would just go backwards, but we would stay on the track. I was thinking that he was probably right, but I sure didn't want to test his theory. After a few minutes, a voice over the loud speaker told us they knew we were stuck and they were coming to get us. They told us this about every 5 minutes for the next 30 minutes or so. There were 7 of us in the car and I don't think any of us were certain how they were going to get us down. We thought for sure we were going to have to rappel (sp?) down the side of the building. FINALLY, they came to get us in what Matt called a "man lift". It was a metal basket that was on a cable system that they brought up next to us. They lifted up our harness thing (OMG, I'm going to fall!!!) and we had to scoot over to the basket. From start to finish, we were probably in there about an hour. It was the scariest thing I think I have ever experienced (besides childbirth:))

I did get 5 day passes and a free dinner out of it:) I haven't decided if I'll ride it again. What would you do???

http://www.dollywood.com/mmine/defaultb.htm

9 comments:

Shonna said...

We went to Dollywood right before Thanksgivig with Jamey's family and we rode this thing. I would save my next heart attack for something else!!! I like roller coasters, but this thing was just plain SCARY - it was way more than just a thrill ride for me...glad y'all are okay though!!!

Christi said...

Nope-- I wouldn't do it again but I'm a chicken, I probably wouldn't have done it to begin with. I remember a beach trip that I went on with you and Matt-- just for the day where the two of you rode some crazy bungee-jumping cart thing that was on the side of the strip. I was scared to get on that with you and I think it was nothing compared to this ride!

Shonna said...

Was that the trip we took after we all graduated? I think so...

Christy said...

I remember that! I believe it was called the reverse bungee. I'm normally totally into anything like that, but now I'm a little leery of it... It's funny though, I'm starting to forget just how scared I was.

Beth said...

I love roller coasters and such. A few years ago when me and John and the family were at the beach me, Amy, and Heath got on one of those "bungee" like things where you start at the bottom and they lift you up and then you pull a cord and go flying through the air. I cannot remember the actual name but anyway, it was SO MUCH FUN!! I would love to go again but my husband is NOT a risk taker AT ALL and he says absolutely not! "Don't you remember you have a child now? What if something went wrong?!" Good thing I did it then when I had the opportunity. I think I would have been a little on the frightened side had I been on your roller coaster ride!

Christy said...

Beth - I've always wanted to do one of those. I tried to convince Matt to at Six Flags about 5 years ago, but he chickened out. I haven't had the opportunity since then. I would definitely do it though!

leslep said...

That is scary. I would not chance the same thing happening again.

Michelle said...

OMG, I would have freaked out!! There is NO way I would get back on that ride ever again!! I used to ride those rides, but the older I get, the more I truly understand, I AM NOT invincible and things DO happen!! LOL Thank goodness you all were okay! It is so sad and scary when you hear all the stories of people getting stuck on these rides or even worse like at Disney Land, etc. You are definitely more brave than I!!!

Julie said...

WOW! I too am a huge fan of "THRILL RIDES"!!!! I did the bungee flying "thing" at Six Flags years ago and loved it. I am glad to know that all of you are okay!! It would be hard to get back on the same ride that gave you the scare of your life!!!