Monday, September 29, 2008

What would you do?


I have a dilemma. Gracie broke one of her front teeth about a year and a half ago (She was 2). She was playing in the gym at daycare and tripped and fell on a toy. I was completely devastated! It took all I could do not to break down and cry right in front of her. I took her to the dentist to see if it was damaged. He said it would tighten back up on its own and that we could fix it with a crown later. At that point, she had never been to the dentist and it scared her to death! He wanted to wait until she was older and could understand more what was going on. Well...she's 4 now and I actually have her an appointment to get it fixed next week. However, she is still VERY scared of the dentist. They gave me a prescription to get filled to give her at the dentist. It is something that will make her woozy and not really care that she's at the dentist. Not to mention, it is going to cost me close to $200 to get it fixed.
I've had several people tell me they don't even notice it, but I do. Am I being vain? After all, it is a tooth she will lose in a couple or three years. Please tell me what you would do. And be brutally honest!! Here is a close up.

10 comments:

Beth said...

Poor Mama! I can understand how it would be bothering you. If it doesn't bother her, I would probably not worry with it. Especially since it is her baby tooth and she will lose it soon. If she's that scared, it wouldn't be worth it to me. Plus look at it like this...it's a precious memory!!! When she looses it, you {I mean the toothfairy} can keep it forever and one day when she is older show it to her!
It's really cute Christy. I would have never noticed it. All I saw in the picture was a BIG, sweet smile!!

Anonymous said...

Bless your heart! That would be tough! BUT, I'm with Beth--if it's going to be such an ordeal to HER, is it worth it? And it really isn't as bad as it seems to you! You notice it more because she's your baby and you want her to remain "perfect"...but, again, agreeing with Beth, I wouldn't have thought anything about it had I seen her. She's got a beautiful smile, and she's a beautiful child, and it's "just a tooth" (I know, I know, it's so much more than that, but I'm trying to make a point here! hehehe!).
On the flip side to that, I completely see your point, and it's easy for me to say all this TO YOU...I can't honestly tell you what I would do if it were Livie or Riley (I do know I'd be doing the same thing you are, though--stressing and asking questions! hehehe!). So you have to follow your heart and know that you'll make the right decision EITHER WAY YOU GO....You're mommy, and mommy's have ALL the right answers...right?!
She's beautiful, Christi!

Anonymous said...

Ok, I just posted that comment and noticed I spelled your name with an "i"! I'm sorry, I work with a girl that spells her name with an "i" and I email her often, so it's become habit! I'm sorry!!!! I'm not a dork, I do know how you spell your name! hehehe! I'm just slow these days!

Christi said...

Hey-- Lesa's oldest did the same thing!! It was one of her front teeth also. Lesa just let her lose the tooth on her own. I think that's probably what I would do since she's already 4 anyway. Our Gracie lost hers when she was in Kindergarten. I'm not sure if she was 5 or 6 at the time. I agree wih the other posters-- she's beautiful and her smile is precious!

Julie said...

Ditto!! I would let her loose the tooth on her own too. I had never noticed it in any of the pictures that you have posted because her beauty and natural smile is what captures my eye!! :) Save the money, the heartache, and let time take its course! I'm being brutally honest. ;)

Julie said...

I meant "lose" not "loose"!!

Christy said...

Thank you for all of the sweet comments! I think I have decided not to do it. I don't want to cause her any heartache for MY vanity!!

Shonna said...

I think you made the right decision, Mama...she is precious:)!! Love y'all!

The Wilson's said...

I agree with everybody else, she will be losing that tooth soon. Save her from the trauma of having it fixed and the side effects of medicines that she would take. I have something similar going on with my 2 yr old except her enamel is missing off the edge of her front teeth. This has caused sensitivity and discoloring. It bothers me greatly, and we have to use fluoride gel every night. I just have to remind myself that it could be worse.

JMBMOMMY said...

I would totally let it fall out on its own if it doesn't bother her.